Now that the days are getting shorter and the weather is getting drearier, it’s more important than ever to make sure your car’s headlights are working at their best and brightest. Like it or not, headlights get cloudy, fade, and otherwise age over the years. Just a little TLC can go a long way in bringing back the brightness of your car’s youth.
Follow these tips and tricks for easy headlight restoration that really works.
- Clean the headlights and prepare the area. Start by wiping down the headlights using soapy water or window cleaner, and dry them off. Then use masking tape or painters tape to tape off the painted or plastic areas around your lights, so that you don’t damage the car itself while sanding the headlights.
- Get a kit. We recommend getting a kit specifically designed for this purpose. Autorepair.about.com suggests Meguires Headlight Restoration Kit, which comes with everything you need to breathe new life into your headlights.
- Begin sanding. Following the kit’s directions, begin sanding using the 1000 grit sand paper. Make sure to keep the sandpaper wet through the process. A simple back and forth motion works best. After sanding for a few minutes, use the provided towel to wipe down the headlight.
- Keep sanding. Now switch out the 1000 grit paper for the 3000 grit sand paper. Dip in in the water, and sand using an up-and-down motion this time. You should begin to see the headlight smooth out.
- Wipe down the headlight again, and this time use the provided buffer (to be installed onto your drill) and buffing polish to buff the headlight. Continue to polish until the headlight is as shiny and clear as you want it. When you’re finished, wipe excess polish away. Be sure to remove the tape from the surrounding area!
If you have additional concerns about your headlights, be sure to give Fred Caldwell Chevrolet a call today!